Do you brush your teeth at least twice a day as recommended? To be fair, most people tend to do just that – however the problem that many people have is that the technique they use isn’t thorough enough and doesn’t properly keep their teeth clean.
Suffice to say, you need to use the right technique to brush your teeth – otherwise it won’t really help you to prevent cavities all that much. Fortunately, it really isn’t that hard to brush your teeth with the right technique and all you need to do is:
1. When brushing the outer or inner surfaces of your teeth you should hold your brush at a 45 degree angle and use short strokes that push away from the gums.
2. When brushing the chewing surfaces, position the brush flat against the teeth and brush them using a back and forth motion.
3. For the inside surfaces of the front teeth it would be best to position the brush almost vertically and use an ‘up and down’ motion with the tip of the brush.
4. Pay special attention to the gum line when you’re brushing and ensure it is cleaned too.
5. Brush your tongue if possible and also the roof of your mouth if you want to be really thorough.
If you’re not quite sure about the proper technique, you should definitely consult your dentist. Not only will your dentist be able to advise you on the technique that you should be using but they should also be able to demonstrate and correct any bad habits you may have developed that could be affecting your brushing.
Generally speaking thoroughly brushing your teeth should take about 2 minutes or a bit longer than that. Once you learn the proper technique for brushing and start to ensure that you’re using it when you brush twice a day you’ll be surprise how quickly it becomes a habit.
It may also help to look at the toothbrush and toothpaste that you’re using to make sure they’re helping you out. Try to pick a toothbrush with soft bristles and a small head that can fit comfortably in your mouth, while a toothpaste that is certified and contains fluoride would be preferable.
For a good Sutton dentist who can help you out with all your needs you should visit the Keppel Advanced Dentistry, 1 Cedar Rd, Sutton, Surrey, SM2 5DA. Remember that while brushing regularly is an important part of oral hygiene, so too are regular trips to the dentist – at least once every six months so that you can stave off any issues and ensure your teeth remain healthy and in great condition.