Avoidant personality disorder is some kind of different personality by feelings of extreme social inhibition, long-standing feeling of inadequacy, sensitivity to negative criticism and rejection of this negative work. We know every person have different kind of personality but some personality are categorized as disorders. This type of personality leads a person to be socially inhibited as well as feel socially inept. Avoidant personality disorder causes serious problems with relationships and work. People who have avoidant personality disorder (APD) have a lifelong pattern of much shyness, feelings of inadequacy as well as the habit of rejection. This kind of person will seek to avoid work, school, college & all other activities which involve socializing / communicate with others. Around the world 1% of the general population have avoidant personality disorder and about five percent of adults have APD.
Avoidant Personality Disorder Symptoms:
If one person has Avoidant personality disorder he might have difficulty communicating with others in social and work settings because of his fear. APD symptoms include a variety of behaviors and this is given below:
- He is unwilling to get involved with other people unless some of the people he likes much.
- They show restraint in intimate relationships because of their fear of being shamed or unwanted situation.
- Is unwilling to get inhabited in new interpersonal situations cause they feeling of inadequacy.
- Is inhabited to get any personal risks or to enter any new activities because they may prove embarrassing.
- They show themselves as personally unappealing or inferior to others.
- They also have self isolation and low self-esteem.
Diagnosed of Avoidant personality Disorder:
Personality disorders such as avoidant personality disorder are basically removed by a trained mental health professional. This trained mental health is having many types such as a psychologist or psychiatrist. General practitioners and normal family physicians are not trained to make these types of psychological diagnosis. So when you feel these types of personality disorder you should go to a mental health professional for diagnosis and treatment. The APD diagnosed are given below:
- You avoid those work activities that can involve contact with others out of fear of criticism, disapproval as well as rejection.
- You are unwilling to get communicate with other people who are you don’t know.
- You are unwilling to take any risks or participate in new activities because you are afraid of embarrassment.
- You hold back in relationships because of the fear of being shamed or ridiculed.
There is some process of treatment of Avoidant Personality Disorder. These processes are given below:
Psychotherapy is the most popular and effective treatment for APD. The aim of psychotherapy is to help the person to identify his unconscious beliefs about yourself and how this beliefs others see him. It also helps him to get better in your social as well as work lives.
Generally doctor may prescribe antidepressant medications to recover sensitivity to rejection. Medication is not a process of replacement for psychotherapy but it also helps to relieve symptoms while someone can undergo therapy. A process of therapy and medication is the most effective and powerful treatment option.